Fast cat is fast

Fast Cat Widget Settings

Fast Cat Widget Settings

I recently had to develop a WordPress widget plugin that would hierarchically  list the categories of a blog, but in a decent amount of time, unlike the default category list, or any other widget I could find online.

The “FastCat” plugin currently works very nice on a database of 250 categories, containing more than 280,000 articles, so if you have a large WordPress database, you probably want to give this baby a try. Available options are:

• widget title
  • root category
  • toggle display on singulars (`article` or `page`)

…but if required, I may add more. You can download it here and see it in action on Expert Mountain.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please leave a comment at least. I would enjoy perfecting it, if possible.

, , , , ,

1. #1 by Michael on January 20, 2009 - 7:51 pm

I have a WP Theme that does not have sidebar widgets available… can I use this plugin somewhere else in my theme?

Thanks

- Michael

P.S. If you could send me an email to let me know, that would be great!

2. #3 by Y on January 23, 2009 - 3:41 am

Hello

Is it possible to exclude subcategories or assign to each level of categories it’s own class, say, .level1, .level2 etc. to make it possible to collapse and expand by css or JS?

thanks

• #4 by Ciprian Dobrea on January 27, 2009 - 4:20 am

Yes, as a matter of fact, I`m working on this right now. I intend to provide users with collapsible cats option, and give each list element an identification and positioning classes and IDs so they can be skinned easily.

PS. sorry for answering so late, but your comment was mistaken as spam by some plugin.

3. #5 by Henning on March 17, 2009 - 3:43 pm

Hi there!

Your code is pretty nice, I was looking for such stuff for a long time.

Actually the navigation does not behave as collapsible in my installation (of course I checked it in the widget configuration). Are there any known bugs?

Thanks for your time,

Henning

• #6 by Ciprian Dobrea on March 31, 2009 - 5:35 pm

Hi Henning, I’m sorry for only approving and replying your comment so late. I had no idea of that unfortunate behavior, and as of now, this is the first reported bug. Thank you. I will work on fixing it shortly.
      Also, thank you for the kind words, I hope the plugin is helping you.

4. #7 by Carlos on May 20, 2009 - 6:01 pm

Hello!

I really loved you widget, I just wanted to use it more than once in different sidebars!
    Is there a way to do it?
    When I go to the second sidebar, the widget is not aviable anymore as it’s being used by the first sidebar…

Thanks anyway!

• #8 by Ciprian Dobrea on May 25, 2009 - 3:20 am

I’m glad you like and use it Carlos. I haven’t tested that, but I will try to fix it. Thank you for reporting this problem.

5. #9 by Levani on August 30, 2009 - 12:22 am

Please renew the demo link.

6. #11 by Jonathan E. Brickman on January 13, 2010 - 5:34 pm

Any hope of getting multiple Fast Cats to work in one sidebar??? I have a hierarchy which will benefit muchly if possible :-)

7. #12 by Erin Hemmes on March 20, 2010 - 4:25 am

How ya doing? You picked the ones closed to my heart too, despite the fact I know I am guilty of #1 when I don’t pay attention.

8. #13 by knight rider on April 24, 2010 - 8:28 pm

Dear friend, I like with your plugin, but I more like if you plugin like as explorer directory, you can see example is http://blog.triphp.com/lessons/wordpress/template-tags/wp_list_categories (look at right sidebar)
    can you make it like that for me, Please! I will wait be patient for reply.

9. #14 by macgyver on April 26, 2010 - 12:33 am

not working in wordpress 2.9

10. #15 by Ciprian Dobrea on April 26, 2010 - 12:43 am

Hello everyone and thank you for your feedback.

I haven’t been able to work on this plugin for quite a while unfortunately, but I will try and make some time to address issues you’ve reported as soon as posible. Please bare with me and I’ll be posting any future updates here.

Thank you again for your interest in FastCat.

11. #16 by Martijn on July 28, 2010 - 6:36 am

Thanks for the great widget.

I second the request for making it capable of adding more than once in the sidebar. If you visit my site you will immediately see it would benefit from it.

(will not be published)